You’d Never Know it was Cauliflower Soup
Happy Valentine’s Day all you sweet people! Whether you are in a relationship, single, or undecided (???), this ooey gooey Hallmark holiday is great reminder that we need to spread love every. single. day. Walking around full of hate and victim thinking does nothing good for anyone. Nothing. Let today be a reminder that love heals all things, and it is absolutely free to give to someone else!
Before we get to what this post is really about—food—I have to share this absolutely adorbs apron Brian got me for Valentine’s day. We agreed that we were going to celebrate this weekend in Vegas, but he went out of his way to make my day a little cuter and cleaner with this foxy apron. Not to mention a little brighter with some beautiful flowers. Isn’t he the sweetest??! Sorry, not sorry. I had to brag a little.
Now, let’s talk about love for a certain cruciferous vegetable, cauliflower! I have been obsessed with cauliflower for a few years now. Everything from cauliflower pizza to cauliflower rice pilaf to roasted cauliflower with nutritional yeast to cauliflower mash, you name it. A little weird considering I didn’t even eat cauliflower until maybe 10 years ago, but it was love at first bite. This powerhouse veggie is full of healthy nutrients and is one of the most versatile veggies I have ever come across.
We pretty much always have a head of cauliflower in the fridge and when last night rolled around and I didn’t want to go to the store, I was dreaming up what I could do with it. The only protein we had in the house was bacon and marrying the two together into a dreamy soup just made sense. This soup came out hearty, flavorful, and with the perfect saltiness from the bacon. I think there is a common misconception that cauliflower is boring, but that is not the case! If you served this soup to anyone without them knowing what it was, they would probably never guess it was cauliflower because it is packed with so many delicious levels of flavor. Now make this soup and turn someone into a believer!
You'd Never Know it was Cauliflower Soup
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large head cauliflower, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium heat, cook the bacon in a large pot till brown and crispy.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Add the shallot, garlic, and onion to the same pot with the bacon grease.
- Saute over medium heat until softened, about five minutes, stirring constantly so your garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the cauliflower and saute for another five minutes, keep stirring.
- Add the turmeric, teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the beef stock and stir, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the bay leaf, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Transfer 1/2 of the mixture (minus the bay leaf!) to a blender. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel so you don’t burn yourself and blend on high until silky smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve up and top the soup with bacon, pepper, reduced balsamic, pine nuts, olive oil, fresh parsley, and whatever else you can dream up. Enjoy!